A. Overview of Experience and Expertise
Lim Hock Kheng is Director of AFS Consulting. He is involved in financial services consulting in Asia-Pacific, specializing in Treasury and Balance Sheet Management Advisory. He has been engaged in consulting activities for investment, commercial, consumer and private banking clients across the Asia-Pacific region.
Mr. Lim has assisted clients in developing and implementing business strategies for the provision of financial services in Asia and in building their regional/global processing centres, establishing new business operating models and licenses, and in implementing front-, middle and back-offices to support the implementation of these strategies.
B. Academic Qualifications and Professional Associations
- Bachelor of Business Administration (Honours.), 1976, University of Singapore
- Advisory Board Member, National University of Singapore, Centre for Financial Engineering 1998 to 2000.
- Forex Association of Singapore, Education Sub-committee (1995 – 1998)
- Global Ethics Examiner for Association Cambiste Internationale (1995 –1998)
- Chairman, Technical Institute Advisory Committee, ITE (1992 to 2001)
- Deputy Chairman Advisory Committee, ITE College West, Institute of Technical Education (2001 to 2006)
Authored a Chapter on Asset and Liability Management in “Commercial Banking in Singapore”, published by Addison Wesley (1996). He developed a “first of its kind” seminar on the implementation of Bank Customer Profitability Measurement, which has seen participation from banks across Asia. He has also developed a Funds Transfer Pricing System for banks.
C. Corporate Positions
Before joining the consulting industry, he was head of the regional treasury for Deutsche Bank in Asia. Mr Lim set up and managed a banking consulting practice for Ernst & Young in 1994, and managed this up to 1998. He joined Cap Gemini (Gemini Consulting) in 1999, and was responsible for its financial services practice in Singapore. In September 2001, he left Cap Gemini to set up AFS Consulting. Website: http://www.afsconsult.com/
Selected Consulting Engagements
- Asian Development Bank: Consultant for ADB in their annual Regional Asset and Liability and Risk Management Forum.
- Morgan Stanley Private Wealth Management: Assisted Morgan Stanley PWM in establishing the life cycle events processes of a market linked investment product, by providing domain expert advisory input to Morgan Stanley’s entities in Asia and Europe.
- Hatton National Bank: Consulted for Hatton National Bank in Sri Lanka in their implementation of Asset Liability Management and Funds Transfer Pricing, with risk management of their Banking Book. This was done through: (i) sharing experience in the integration of Asset Liability Management, Funds Transfer Pricing and Risk Management of the Banking Book, (ii) advice in the use of ALM/FTP systems, and (iii) guidance in the formulation of FTP policies.
- Maybank Singapore – Derivatives Pricing Model Validation and Review of Trading Limits
- Maybank Malaysia – Funds Transfer Pricing and Central Funding Unit
- PT Bank Danamon Indonesia, Funds Transfer Pricing/Asset Liability Risk Management Framework
- Bank Mandiri, Indonesia – Derivatives Trading Support Infrastructure,
- JP Morgan Chase Asia Pacific – Institutional Cash Equities
- Maybank Malaysia – Derivatives Trading and Risk Management Infrastructure
- China Construction Bank – Beijing, China
- BNP Paribas – Subsidization of Private Bank and Ops Consolidation
- Indover Bank – Developed a strategy for structured trade and commodity finance in Asia
- Standard Chartered Bank – Investment Banking Ops Regionalisation
Other Training and Risk Management Consulting Engagements
- Bank of China, Beijing: Conducted Asset and Liability Management and Funds Transfer Pricing Workshop for Bank of China, Beijing.
- Reuters: Developed the arbitrage/pricing (futures, futures strips, 1-year interest rate swap, implied forwards and forward curve) algorithms for Reuters screen page for their launch of the KLIBOR futures contract in Malaysia. This page is still being used.
- Toronto Dominion Singapore: Set up Equity Options Trading Risk Management System for the bank to arbitrage tax treatment of delta hedging on the Toronto Stock Exchange.
- SPL Worldwide: Conducted Asset/Liability Management Training in South Africa for South African banks and financial institutions in Drakensburg, South Africa.
- Bank Utama: Conducted Risk Management Workshop for Board Members
- Bank Central Asia: Business Process Re-engineering for the bank’s risk management operations.
- Banca Nazionale Del Lavaro: Developed the banking operations for the entire offshore banking operations.
- Hock Hua Bank: Set up the front-office, middle-office and back-office capabilities for the bank to trade in interest rate derivatives, and prepared its application to Bank Negara to trade and offer financial derivatives.
- Multi-Credit Corporation of Thailand and Nithipat Capital Public Co. Ltd.: Prepared the firm operationally for dealing in foreign exchange and assisted the firm in its application for a foreign exchange license to the Bank of Thailand.
- Reuters: Consulted for and trained Reuters sales and technical support staff in the implementation and launch of its Money 3000 product.
Treasury Training and Competencies Development for Industry Bodies
- Association Cambiste Internationale/Forex Association of Singapore: Developed and set the global ethics certification examination as part of the ACI’s objective to raise the competencies in the industry with professional industry accreditation.
- Bank Indonesia/Forex Indo: Developed the certification program for foreign exchange traders in Jakarta and carried out the curriculum training at Institut Bank Indonesia.
- Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas: Sponsored by Bank of America to develop derivatives application guidelines and procedures and train the central banking officers in derivatives risk management.
- Bankers Association of the Philippines: Wrote the Market Ethics & Code of Conduct for the foreign exchange, money market and fixed income market in the Philippines, based on best practices in the London, New York, Japan and Singapore markets.
- Bankers Association of the Philippines: Developed the curriculum, training materials, and established competencies framework for accrediting foreign exchange, money market and fixed income traders for the local market.
- Forex Association of Singapore: Developed a Regional Treasury Training Scheme for dealers in the region.
- Institute of Banking & Finance / Institute of Certified and Public Accountants Singapore: developed and taught workshops on audit of treasury and derivatives from 1991 to ca. 1996.
- Institute of Banking & Finance: Developed and Taught at the International Officers Training Course (Risk Management and ALM) for the Republic of China international banking officers (1991 to 1995)
- Southeast Asian Central Bankers Association: conducted Treasury Risk Management workshops in Bank Indonesia, Bank of Thailand and Bank of China.
- Singapore International Mercantile Exchange – Taught a module on options to SIMEX dealers, and set the examination questions for Futures Dealers, for the purpose of accreditation (1992/94).
- Institute Bank Bank Malaysia – Taught courses on Asset/Liability Management, Derivatives and Audit of Derivatives.
- Institute of Banking & Finance – Prepared Study Guide for Capital Markets & Financial Advisory Services